Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Nebulizer!


Oscar recently has had a really bad cough for a really long time and when we took him to the doctor once again she prescribed breathing treatments witha nebulizer...the first of 2 treatments we did in the office was a nightmare...I don't know who was sweatier after...I had to wrestle my little giant into submission--I had him in a bear hug pining his legs with my knees, one arm wrapped around him to keep him from pulling off the mask and the other hand holding the mask to his mouth! We wrestled like this for 15 minutes..then the doctor came in to check his lungs/breathing again and looked at me and apologized that he was going to have to do another treatment..."I'll give you a few minutes to recompose" she said as she whisked out the door... I then turned Oscar around on my lap and made him a deal--I told him that if he could sit still and let the mask stay on his face I would let him go out and watch the movie out in the waiting room while he had his treatment...he looked like he was understanding so I continued...but if you don't sit still and let me help you get your breathing treatment then we have to come back in here and I have to hold you down! He nodded his head defeatedly and so I proposed the plan to the nurse when she came back into the room to get him started...looking nervously she looked at us both red cheeked and sweaty from our last treatment and said, "Are you sure that's a good idea?" I reassured her that if things got out of hand at all I would promptly bring him back to the room... so out we went. The movie started and began prepping him for the treatment...he began to whimper when I quickly reminded him we would have to go back into the exam room and he quit! To everyone's shock he did not make a peep again! He sat still as can be in my lap and let the whole treatment pass without so much as a ripple! He is such a pro now that he can be plopped down on the rocker and do the whole treatment without me holding him...as long a he has a "show" (one of his new favorite words) to watch!

No comments: